Wednesday 26 June 2024

Who? Tom Palmer on Finding Characters for your Historical Fiction

Who? 

When I write a history story I have to decide when the action is going to take place – and also where to set it. I also have to decide what is going to happen based on the setting. Then how it happens. And why it happens. But – for me – writing historical fiction always has to begin with the character.





The who. That who is usually a real person who lived through a period of history that fascinates me. That’s my character.

Once I have the who, the where and when look after themselves. That’s my setting. I need to set the book in the time and place that person lived. If you are basing your story on a real person this is the easy part.

Now – with more research in books, online and in film, maybe – I can find out what they did. Along with how they did what they did, I have a plot or a storyline.

And, finally, why. What motivated my historical figure to do what they did? 

That’s my WRITING CHALLENGE for all you young Time Tunnellers. 

Can you think up a good idea for a story based on a real historical figure that you are interested in? 

Now ask yourself the questions:

Who do you want to write about from history? 
When did they live? 
And where were they when they made their contribution to history? 
What did they do in that time and place that so interests you? 
How did they go about it? 
And – very importantly – why? 

For me this is the starting point for every book I write. Some answers come easier than others, but, if you keep going and research deeply into your who, where, when, what, how and why, then you should have a decent story on your hands.

Tom Palmer is the author of over 60 children's books, including award-winning historical fiction for young people. 
Find out more about Tom here






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who? Tom Palmer on Finding Characters for your Historical Fiction

Who?   When I write a history story I have to decide when the action is going to take place – and also where to set it. I also have to dec...